Financial Planning and Support of the Church
We invite you to consider ways to remember the ministries of Parkway with a gift which gives long into the future. Consider the following:
Remember the Church in Your Will: It’s easy to include a gift for the life and ministry of Parkway UCC in your will. Simply choose your best option from the Sample Bequest Language below, and communicate this option to your attorney.
- Residual Bequest Language: A residual bequest comes to Parkway UCC after your estate expenses and specific bequests are paid:
- “I give and devise to Parkway United Church of Christ, located in Winston-Salem, NC all (or state a percentage) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate, both real and personal, to be used for its general support (or for the support of a specific fund or program).”
- Specific Bequest Language: Naming Parkway UCC as a beneficiary of a specific amount from your estate is easy:
- “I give and devise to Parkway United Church of Christ, located in Winston-Salem, NC the sum of $_______ to be used for its general support (or for the support of a specific fund or program).”
- Contingent Bequest Language: Parkway UCC can be named as a contingent beneficiary in your will or personal trust if one or more of your specific bequests cannot be fulfilled:
- “If (insert name) is not living at the time of my demise, I give and devise to Parkway United Church of Christ, located in Winston-Salem, NC, the sum of $ _______ (or all or a percentage of the residue of my estate) to be used for its general support (or for the support of a specific fund or program).”
- Retirement Plan Beneficiary Designation: You may name Parkway UCC as a beneficiary of your IRA or other qualified retirement benefits. Donors should consult with their tax advisor regarding the tax benefits of such gifts. Naming Parkway UCC as the beneficiary of a qualified retirement plan asset such as a 401(k), 403(b), IRA, Keogh or profit sharing pension plan will accomplish your desire to help the ministries of the church while realizing significant tax savings. It can be costly to pass such assets on to your heirs because of heavy tax consequences. By naming Parkway UCC as a beneficiary of a retirement plan, you maintain complete control over this asset while living, but at your death, the plan passes to support the program and services of Parkway UCC free of both estate and income taxes.
Making a charitable gift from your retirement plan is easy and should not cost you any attorney fees. Simply request a change of beneficiary form from your plan administrator. When you are done, please return the form to your plan administrator and notify the church office.
Thank you for your consideration of your legacy commitment to continuing our vision to listen deeply, build community, and act for justice.